Child Custody Issues

Often, the police are called to enforce court orders dealing with parents’ rights of access to their children. Even though there may be an order in place allowing for visitation, the law does not give the police power to intervene and to enforce the order. If one party refuses to grant access to children, then you need to go back to the court that issued the order concerning access. The court may then direct the police to find and deliver a child to the person named in the order. Unless an order is obtained containing that specific information, the police are only able to keep the peace. Non-compliance with an order must be dealt with by the originating court and through the penalty section of the Family Law Act or the Children’s Law Reform Act.