Restraining Order

A restraining order is a Family Court order that requires your partner or former partner to stop molesting, annoying or harassing you and your children, or from communication with you or your children except as the order provides.

This order may be obtained by applying to Family Court. You may wish to seek legal advice. You may attend the Ontario Court of Justice and ask to speak with someone at the Family Law Information Centre. If an order is made and the defendant breaches that order, report the breach to the police immediately, after an investigation, it could result in charges being laid.

What is the difference between a peace bond and a restraining order?

You may apply for a peace bond against any person who you have reasonable grounds to fear may cause personal injury to you, your property or your family. A peace bond is commonly used under section 810 of the Criminal Code.